"Someday's gonna be a busy day..."

Wednesday 14 January 2009

The Grumbling Tummy - Part III

Here's part three in the "geez, I'm hungry lately" themed bloggery that's been going on this week. I promise not to torture you with more recipes...at least, not for awhile.

This recipe comes from a cookbook I compiled and printed for my Nana to honour her 90th birthday. I borrowed all her "scribblers" (as she called her soiled, stained, well-used recipe binders), polled the family for favourites and put together about 40 pages of her recipes. I did it because I couldn't think of anything to buy her, and figured she might be tickled by the cookbook, but I'm so glad I did - now that she's gone to the Great Kitchen Beyond, I've got something to pass along to the next generation and keep Nana's memory alive.

The thing I liked about Nana's cooking was that it was never low-fat, or particularly healthy. She just threw caution to the wind and cooked in what I like to think of as a blissfully ignorant, 1950's kind of style (e.g. LOTS of butter).

Nana loved meat and had dozens of chicken recipes in her "scribblers." Chicken breasts are my least favourite meat on the planet, but even I adore this recipe. (Of course, it's hard not to like something smothered in butter and Parmesan...) If you were lucky, she'd have a pan of these waiting for you when you popped in to visit, accompanied by roasted potatoes. The smell is indescribably wonderful.

Parmesan Chicken (aka the best chicken ever)
2 cups seasoned bread crumbs (I season mine with paprika, chili powder & onion salt)
1 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp mustard (I like Dijon)
1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup butter, melted
6 chicken breasts

1. Mix Parmesan with bread crumbs and put in a shallow bowl.
2. Add Wooster sauce and mustard to melted butter and mix well.
3. Dip chicken breasts in butter, then in bread crumb mixture to coat well.
4. Place in single layer in greased casserole dish; pour remaining butter over top.
5. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Serve with roasted potatoes - cut up 5-6 potatoes into small pieces, toss with olive oil and dried spices of your choice. Sprinkle liberally with sea salt and roast alongside the chicken until done, tossing occasionally.

Hmmm...I think I'll make this for D tonight!

3 comments:

Lois said...

OMG Kim!
This sounds really, really good...excuse me while I wipe off the drool.....
I think it will make a gread dinner this Sunday.
I have recipes from my Grams but I don't remember her cooking anything.
Isn't that odd???
I know we ate when I stayed with her, I just don't remember what we ate.
Anyway, have a great weekend, and as always thanks for sharing.
Lois

Gingham Skies said...

YUM!! I've already started my menu post for the week after this, I guess that makes it 'next' week and this puppy is being added to it. It sounds delicious but safe enough for my selective eating husband.

Don't stop sharing recipes please! The more ideas I can get from others the better. :)

MrsS said...

Gotta try, gotta try, gotta try - sounds just wonderful Kimber - wonder how it would cook in a crockpot.

That was a really neat idea compiling a recipe book, and a great tribute to your gran. Thanks for sharing her chicken recipe - we love chicken.